The BBC Learning Design Toolkit serves as “an aid to designing learner-centred experiences.” It is a method deck consisting of 40 cards in seven categories:
- Core Propositions — The defining idea that sits at the heart of what educators and trainers do (value statement creators framed around: confidence + creativity = success)
- Experience Principles — What principles define the learner experience?
- Learner Insights — Do you know your learners?
- Behaviours — How do people learn in a web-tech world?
- Frameworks — Designing for your learners.
- Provocations — Additional stimulus and cognitive encouragers.
- Program Delivery Phases — The key phases before, during, and after learners engage with the learning programme.
The toolkit was designed in conjunction with Engine, a service design company. The collaboration focused on developing awareness of patterns in learning processes and developing a learner-centred design framework: